How to Become an Arbitrator
Phase 1 — Verification and Confirmation of Eligibility
Read the eligibility criteria. If qualified, submit a completed Arbitrator Profile Form.
- An email confirmation will be sent to you indicating your profile form was received.
- Allow 3-5 days for processing your profile.
- You will receive a registration email that includes your Login ID and a link to the required exam(s).
- Please save the email for future reference.
- If you do not receive confirmation that your profile has been accepted after allowing 3-5 days processing time, please contact Member Services at email@example.com or 1-866-977-3434.
Phase 2 — Testing and Training
Arbitrator candidates must complete an online claims knowledge exam for the program(s) for which they will hear cases. A link to AF's arbitrator certification site is provided in the arbitrator profile registration email (noted above) as well as the specific claims knowledge exam that must be completed based on the arbitrator candidate's profile entries. Advance preparation is not necessary; however, the Rules and the Reference Guide to Arbitration Forums' Agreements and Rules are available as resources, if needed.
You may attempt to take the exam three times. After the third failed attempt, allow three months before re-attempting the exam.
Arbitrator candidates also need to complete AF's Quality Decisions training Webinar and pass the associated quiz with a score of 80% or more. A link to the required Webinar's schedule is included in the arbitrator profile registration email for easy registration.
Completing the exam and training can be done in any order.
After you successfully complete the required testing and training, you will be an arbitrator. Congratulations! Your Field Arbitration Manager (FAM) will contact you within 7-10 days about hearing your first dockets.
Interested in Getting Certified?
AF offers a certification program for member arbitrators who wish to take the next step in professional development. In fact, certification is mandatory for all Special, Uninsured Motorists', and Property arbitrators.