About Arbitration Forums, Inc.
Founded by the insurance industry in 1943, AF is a membership-driven, not-for-profit organization that exists to effectively and efficiently serve its over 4,700 members' recovery and resolution needs. AF is the nation's largest arbitration and subrogation services provider. Annually, its members file over 743,000 arbitration disputes and 1,711,000 subrogation demands collectively worth over $11.4 billion in claims.
AF is a membership-focused organization dedicated to providing its membership best-in-class service and ensuring they are at the center of everything AF does. AF embraces this member-centric mindset by implementing member feedback at all points of service.
The membership is the key driver of AF's future direction. Through their continued support, AF will build on current successes and ensure its services continue to provide effective dispute resolution alternatives.
AF does not charge a membership fee, but rather a fee for each case filed. Membership is available to insurers and self-insureds. To become a member, simply fill out an agreement for the forum(s) that your company would like to join, ensuring it is signed by a corporate officer, senior level executive, or an individual who has the authority to bind your organization to a nationwide contract. Then send the original copy to the attention of:
Arbitration Forums, Inc.
Attn: Membership Services
3820 Northdale Boulevard, Suite 200A
Tampa, Florida 33624
AF offers intercompany dispute resolution through the following forums:
- Automobile Subrogation Arbitration Forum
- Designed to resolve intercompany subrogation disputes amongst insurers, self-insureds and large retention commercial insureds involving automobile physical damage not in excess of $100,000 unless agreed upon by all parties.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Arbitration Forum
- Settles disputes arising from no-fault coverage between insurers, self-insureds and commercial insureds with large retentions.
- Medical Payments Subrogation Arbitration Forum
- Resolves disputes arising from subrogation of medical payments coverage between insurance companies only.
- Special Arbitration Forum
- Resolves disputes between insurers, self-insureds, and commercial insureds with retentions for claims involving third-party liability and/or disputes regarding concurrent, over lapping, or excess/primary coverage. The amount of contribution sought may not exceed $250,000 unless agreed upon by the parties.
- Property Subrogation Arbitration Forum
- Addresses claims (not in excess of $100,000) involving fire, extended coverage, inland marine coverage, or other first-party property insurance.
- Uninsured Motorists' Subrogation Forum
- Is the forum in which insurance companies bind themselves to arbitrate coverage questions under automobile liability policies in which a disclaimer results in a claim against another member company under its uninsured motorist endorsement.
AF utilizes a neutral panel of over 8,800 claims professionals from our member companies. In order to become an AF arbitrator, applicants must have five years of applicable claims experience and clearly demonstrate they have the required claims experience and knowledge base in order to render impartial, informed decisions.
In order to ensure arbitrators meet this criteria, AF has introduced a certification process. Certification is mandatory for all Special, Uninsured Motorists', Property, and New York PIP arbitrators as well as new or returning Auto arbitrators. A voluntary certification program exists for all current/active Auto, PIP, and Med Pay arbitrators. The certification process consists of three components:
- Claims Knowledge Test - 25 questions on general claims principles related to the selected forum or track
- Forum Test - 25 questions on the applicable forum's Agreement and Rules
- Simulations - 3 cases that they will review and render decisions
AF is dedicated to ensuring our members receive the level of service they deserve. We have implemented a number of training options designed to deliver essential knowledge and skills-based arbitration training that members can apply immediately to improve their results. AF's training offerings include
- Reference Guides - Detailed resource outlining the application of each rule of the arbitration programs.
- Online Tutorials - Brief lessons designed to introduce you to AF's forums and provide you with the "basics" to get started filing or responding to cases in arbitration.
- Webinars - Workshops focus on practical application of the rules, regulations, and procedures of each arbitration program.
For more information on the support AF offers to improve our members' arbitration experience, please visit the Training section.